Baby Countdown!

pregnancy calendar

Thursday, March 3, 2011


Dear Ryan,
    Well, you certainly surprised Daddy & me along with everybody else this past weekend.  On Saturday morning, I woke up with really bad back pain.  I thought it was just my pre-existing back condition & didn't think anything about it.  Grandma & I went to Mt. Pleasant to get our taxes done & I took some strong pain medicine & continued on with the day.  On Sunday, my back was still hurting really badly & I spent all day on the couch with severe pain in my back.  Then, on Monday I got up & got ready for work & my back was still hurting.  I had an appointment scheduled for Tuesday with the Dr. to have you checked out, but after talking to Daddy & Grandma about my back pain they thought I should call the doctor before I went to work.  So, I called into work to tell my boss I would be late & called the Dr. office & explained my pain & they told me to head to the hospital immediately to be checked out.  I thought I was over-reacting by calling since I have this pre-existing back condition, but did as I was told.  As it turns out, it was a good thing I went to the hospital!
   When Daddy & I got there they did a check & found that I had already dilated to 4 sonomenters & that I had been in active labor for 3 days!  Imagine our shock to find out this news, especially since there was still 7 weeks until your arrival!  They stated that they were admitting me to the hospital & were going to try & stop my labor.  I was very scared & upset & so was Daddy.  I called Grandma & told her that she needed to get to the hospital right away because I was in labor & we didn't know what was going to happen. 
    They admitted me to the hospital & started me on this awful medicine called Magnesium Sulfate through an IV.  It makes you really hot, disoriented, sick, nauseous, weak, & just plain feeling awful.  I was contracting 10 times per hour which was not good & they were not sure they were going to be able to stop the labor.  They also had to give me a steroid shot to help your lungs develop in case you did decide to make an early appearance.  Despite feeling so awful, I was so worried about you & hoping that you were OK.  We all were just really scared.
    After 2 1/2 days of this treatment & your second steroid shot, they finally got the contractions to stop.  Upon further exam, they did find that I had now dilated to 5 sonometers.  So now, you & I are remaining in the hospital until your arrival.  We are hoping to keep you in my belly for at least another week, but you are very eager to make an appearance & the doctor is not sure that we are going to make it that far. 
    There are lots of people praying for your safety & well-being & we just want you to be healthy & happy.  So, I am writing this blog from my hospital bed wondering if today is going to be your birthday or if we are going to make it just "one more day".  Daddy & I are so excited to meet you, but we are also scared because we want you to be safe & healthy.  We are lucky that so many people are praying for your safety & we know that God is continuing to protect you as he has done since day one. 
    I just want you to know how much you are loved & that we just want what is best for you.  However, if you decide to be impatient like Mommy & make an early arrival, know that we have & will continue to do everything we can to make sure you are safe & healthy.  You are truly our wonderful miracle from God & we are just grateful to know that God has blessed you with us.  Please continue to stay in my belly for a little while longer & get a little stronger.  In the meantime, we are all anxiously awaiting your arrival & we can't wait to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment